Wednesday, February 10, 2010

…is LinkedIn the Facebook for Business Professionals?

…is LinkedIn the Facebook for Business Professionals?

Today I attended one of those lunchtime webinars (at my desk obviously), to learn how I can unleash the power of LinkedIn.

Prior to the webinar, I would've considered myself fairly novice on the 'power' of LinkedIn.

I launched my LinkedIn account just prior to commencing my role here at IQPC. I was assured by the multitude of recruiters I met with, that LinkedIn was the 'Facebook' for business professionals.

I tend to agree and disagree with this.

In so far as I am aware, LinkedIn is a great tool for business professionals to connect. Certainly in my role so far, i've been able to share news, share content, ask advice, source news, connect to people, and increase my own business network.

My greatest two issues are as follows;

Time - I struggle to find the time to engage with other people on LinkedIn...to it's full potential I mean. In the past I've spent a few hours joining groups, starting discussions, uploading press releases, content, etc - all the things you CAN do to promote your event. But this can create my second issue

Sensitivity - This is where Facebook and LinkedIn greatly differ. You can share ANY information on Facebook; your business, your shoe size, your favourite foods, your mother's favourite foods!!! On LinkedIn, this behaviour won't fly. Unless there is a perceived VALUE in what you write or say, you will get reprimanded! I've been told off for being too salesy, for plugging my agenda. Thus, you've got to be sneaky. Use what you know.

Currently my strategy is to infiltrate the groups which exist already on LinkedIn within the topic areas we develop conferences for, and then I share;
- Links to press releases
- Promote LIVE podcasts, or links back to the podcast post the recording
- Relevant news
- Event Listing (and subsequently using the event URL as news within the group/s)
- Open discussions (asking ONE question, to foster industry response) etc.

Post the 'Webinar' I can honesty say I am more advanced than I gave myself credit for, having only learned ONE thing during the 45 minutes. (this being the 'Answers' Tab on LinkedIn, where you can ask a question across a multitude of industries).

There's plenty more I can share on LinkedIn (and Facebook for that matter), but that's all until next time.

I wonder - what's your advice on how to promote B2B on LinkedIn?

You can email me directly, or comment below.

Chris Archer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I review this blog daily and will approve this shortly.

Chris Archer